The present moment terrifies us.
We can be very ingenious with the variety of drama we create and cling to in order to stay away from the here-and-now.
Today’s letting go exercise: What kind of drama do you create for yourself?
Read through the following list of dramatic distractions. Which style of drama suits you? Do you….
- Hold on to a belief or idea, even though it no longer serves you?
- Cling too tightly to a relationship that is changing?
- Feel compelled to do and have “it all” even though you are never satisfied?
- Make yourself miserable by following the American Dream… or some other status quo?
- Play a story line over and over in your head to justify your behavior?
- Over-react on a daily basis, even though part of you knows it is causing suffering for you and those around you?
What a lot of trouble we go through to avoid the present moment. How determined we are to hold on to our habitual reactions and defenses.
See if you can let go of the drama today. Be with what scares you. Even a small opening, a moment of reacting as opposed to responding, might give you a taste of peace, and the realization that you are connected and accepted. Drop the drama, breathe, look around. You are safe to chose differently- safe to chose a new, less dramatic script. This drama-free moment of peace might motivate you to drop habits that are stopping you from a bigger letting go.
Tomorrow we will take a closer look at the trances that keep us stuck.
Want off of the drama train? Our next few posts will help you break free.
We wish you twenty minutes of mindfulness every day!
Discover The Everday Mindfulness Toolbox. If you are looking for practical tools that you can integrate into your everyday life – at home, work, or elsewhere – then look no more! You need the Everyday Mindfulness Toolbox.
Your subscription supports the maintenance and content on mindfulhub.com. If you already subscribe, THANK YOU!
- Convenient one-time donation. No need to renew.
- Unlimited access to the Everyday Mindfulness Toolbox – viewable on any device
- Instructional videos that guide you through short, practical mindful practices.
- Access to our guides to practical mindful tools – ways to recenter and ensure you find your balance daily
- Cancel at your convenience.
Good Karma: One-time donation
We love spontaneous support. Your donation stokes the journalistic and creative fires!
Make A Donation