Uninhibited, care-free, silly ….. When was the last time you let yourself feel one of these sensations? Think toddler’s dancing, teenagers skateboarding, young adults running in the rain, a karaoke performance at a wedding reception that has you laughing so hard you start crying….
In honor of Labor Day Weekend, a time when we let go of toil, and try to focus on feelings of levity and lightness, today’s letting go practice is about cultivating your care-free spirit.
- Start with a few deep breaths, stretch out any soreness in your body with the most goofy yoga pose or dance move you know
- Think back to a time when you felt unfettered, energetic, joyful, with no self-consciousness holding you back. For many of us, this will be before puberty, before our brains started putting the brakes on feeling care-free in favor of safety. What were you doing? Can you recall a specific activity, friend, or family member that you were with?
- Use your journal to describe this scene, or share it with your letting-go buddy.
- How can you recreate this experience as an adult?
As an example let me share one of my care-free memories. I am five years old, camping with my parents and my sister. I wander into a moss-covered field just a short distance from our campsite. I take my shoes and socks off and danced around the squishy, cool, velvety moss, enjoying the different shades of green. This weekend, I might be able to recreate some of this care-free feeling by going for a walk in the woods at our nearby Audubon Center, making sure that part of my walk is barefoot, maybe even sharing the experience with one of my children.
Wow…. I can’t wait! How will you trade in serious for care-free this week? After your trade, I bet you will feel energized and refreshed – like we often do after reuniting a dear old friend.
Share your experience with us!
We wish you twenty minutes of mindfulness every day!
Discover The Everday Mindfulness Toolbox. If you are looking for practical tools that you can integrate into your everyday life – at home, work, or elsewhere – then look no more! You need the Everyday Mindfulness Toolbox.
Your subscription supports the maintenance and content on mindfulhub.com. If you already subscribe, THANK YOU!
- Convenient one-time donation. No need to renew.
- Unlimited access to the Everyday Mindfulness Toolbox – viewable on any device
- Instructional videos that guide you through short, practical mindful practices.
- Access to our guides to practical mindful tools – ways to recenter and ensure you find your balance daily
- Cancel at your convenience.
Good Karma: One-time donation
We love spontaneous support. Your donation stokes the journalistic and creative fires!
Make A Donation