A friend of mine says she makes a habit of surrounding herself with good people. By “good” she means people who support her, bring out the best in her, and wish her well, people who in turn appreciate and respect her opinions and friendship. It seems like a simple idea but when she told me this I was struck by how many times in life I didn’t adopt the same habit.
We could learn a lot from the seasons if we just take the time to be observant. Each autumn, the trees and other flora and fauna shed what is no longer needed in service of rest, renewal, and to make room for what is to come.
Try this: Surround yourself with good people
- As part of your gentle fall transition, take stalk of the people with whom you spend your time and energy.
- Remember that just like seasons, relationships go through phases.
- Is there a relationship you are in that could benefit from a rest? Perhaps one that requires pruning all together?
- Keep compassion in mind as you take stock. In most cases, there is no need for big pronouncements or hard and fast separation. (If so, see mindfulness for a broken heart).
- Create clarity around what it is you need from your friends and your community. A daily mindfulness practice can help build this clarity.
Take a look at Mindfulness Daily for more practices that help with clarity and self-compassion.
Discover The Everday Mindfulness Toolbox. If you are looking for practical tools that you can integrate into your everyday life – at home, work, or elsewhere – then look no more! You need the Everyday Mindfulness Toolbox.
Your subscription supports the maintenance and content on mindfulhub.com. If you already subscribe, THANK YOU!
- Convenient one-time donation. No need to renew.
- Unlimited access to the Everyday Mindfulness Toolbox – viewable on any device
- Instructional videos that guide you through short, practical mindful practices.
- Access to our guides to practical mindful tools – ways to recenter and ensure you find your balance daily
- Cancel at your convenience.
Good Karma: One-time donation
We love spontaneous support. Your donation stokes the journalistic and creative fires!
Make A Donation