The ideas of equanimity and acceptance are central to mindfulness meditation, and can help us welcome life’s detours.
“Consider that not getting what you want can be a wonderful stroke of luck” – The Dalai Lama
Here’s today’s letting go exercise: The gift of plan B
1. When something unexpectedly unpleasant or unwanted comes up, watch your physical reaction. Is there a tightening in your stomach or shoulders? Are your hands clenched? Especially watch what the breath is doing. Take deep even breaths.
2. Ask the magic question, “what is the best thing to do in this moment?” and follow-up questions, “how can I use this situation to show compassion?” What am I resisting? What is my fear? Is my resistance helping or making the situation more painful?
3. What is the gift of plan B? Look for the gift in the situation. There is always a gift in plan B. Think of time in the past when getting what you wanted did not turn out to be all that great, and a time when plans feel through and something unexpectedly beneficial happened. The Dalai Lama has been quoted as saying “Remember that not getting what you want can be a wonderful stroke of luck.”
We wish you twenty minutes of mindfulness every day!
Parents can benefit from our worksheets that support mindful parenting.
Discover The Everday Mindfulness Toolbox. If you are looking for practical tools that you can integrate into your everyday life – at home, work, or elsewhere – then look no more! You need the Everyday Mindfulness Toolbox.
Your subscription supports the maintenance and content on mindfulhub.com. If you already subscribe, THANK YOU!
- Convenient one-time donation. No need to renew.
- Unlimited access to the Everyday Mindfulness Toolbox – viewable on any device
- Instructional videos that guide you through short, practical mindful practices.
- Access to our guides to practical mindful tools – ways to recenter and ensure you find your balance daily
- Cancel at your convenience.
Good Karma: One-time donation
We love spontaneous support. Your donation stokes the journalistic and creative fires! Make A Donation