This is not about a beauty make-over, But rather an inside make-over that might be long overdue. It might be time to let go of labels that you don’t want anymore, and maybe never even asked for. How do you identify yourself? You might say “I’m the mother of two… grandfather…. CEO… dancer…. a dentist.” But like everything, our identities morph and change over our life-span, and holding on to or buying into an identity that no longer fits can be unproductive and painful.
When it comes to our identity it might be wise to take the attitude of holding on “not too tight, not too loose”
Here’s how today’s Letting-go exercise: Find the right balance with your identity:
1. Start with five minutes of mindful breathing, gently ask any thoughts to come back later.
2. How would you have identified yourself ten years ago? Were you a teacher, parent of a toddler? a student? Now apply the same question to your identity five years ago.
3. From the previous step, what still applies? Is there some label you want to let go of, or start to shed?
4. Focus on the concept of “not too tight, not too lose” today. Can you feel a sense of ease and spaciousness around your identity?
5. It also might be helpful to remember a basic human right that we should all identify with – that is – we all have the right to make mistakes, change, grow, and move on.
You are allowed to update your identity and focus on and foster the best aspects of your being. Not doing so robs you and the world of your ever developing insight and gifts.
We wish you twenty minutes of mindfulness every day!
Discover The Everday Mindfulness Toolbox. If you are looking for practical tools that you can integrate into your everyday life – at home, work, or elsewhere – then look no more! You need the Everyday Mindfulness Toolbox.
Your subscription supports the maintenance and content on mindfulhub.com. If you already subscribe, THANK YOU!
- Convenient one-time donation. No need to renew.
- Unlimited access to the Everyday Mindfulness Toolbox – viewable on any device
- Instructional videos that guide you through short, practical mindful practices.
- Access to our guides to practical mindful tools – ways to recenter and ensure you find your balance daily
- Cancel at your convenience.
Good Karma: One-time donation
We love spontaneous support. Your donation stokes the journalistic and creative fires! Make A Donation