It’s easy to get caught up in feeling powerless. All it takes is dwelling on something in your life that is not going your way. Even if things are going pretty smoothly in your life right now, you might be thrown off kilter by looking at the events that the media presents us with and the realities of the senseless acts of violence in the world around us, or media coverage of political campaigns. Your mindfulness practice can help you regain a sense of safety and control over your life. Taking a break from dwelling on the problems in your world, and the world at large will help you feel more in control. Here’s how it works:
1. Breathe, and reset your nervous system – Every time you take time out – even just 3 minutes of focusing on your breath, you are resetting your nervous system – moving away from the fight or flight response which often makes us act in unskillful ways, and moving closer to the rest and digest response that helps us view personal and world situations with more clarity and calm. Click here to read more about mindfulness basics.
2. keep coming back to the breath – Your mind will naturally want to wander. Old habits die hard. You might find yourself going back to your favorite obsession or fear. Simply bring your attention back to your breath, as if you were kindly trying to get the attention of an unruly puppy.
3. Focus on the higher ground – For every “bad guy” out there, we can find at least two brave warriors. If the recent events have got you worried, stop watching the news for a while. Or switch up your newsfeed with some positive news, like these heroic teens.
4. After focusing on higher ground, come back to the breath again – after looking around for what is going right in the world, come back to your breath for a few more minutes. This mindfulness exercise will help you to regain a sense of safety and calm.
Struggling to stay calm in a chaotic world? Contact us.
More positive newsfeeds:
We wish you twenty minutes of mindfulness every day!
Discover The Everday Mindfulness Toolbox. If you are looking for practical tools that you can integrate into your everyday life – at home, work, or elsewhere – then look no more! You need the Everyday Mindfulness Toolbox.
Your subscription supports the maintenance and content on mindfulhub.com. If you already subscribe, THANK YOU!
- Convenient one-time donation. No need to renew.
- Unlimited access to the Everyday Mindfulness Toolbox – viewable on any device
- Instructional videos that guide you through short, practical mindful practices.
- Access to our guides to practical mindful tools – ways to recenter and ensure you find your balance daily
- Cancel at your convenience.
Good Karma: One-time donation
We love spontaneous support. Your donation stokes the journalistic and creative fires! Make A Donation